Another amazing place to celebrate winter opened in Mishawaka this year. Ironworks Ice Rink debuted with a skating ribbon and rink — plus a couple other ways to experience the ice that are unlike anything else The Bend has to offer.
If you're the type to embrace the snowy season by heading outside, Ironworks Ice Rink is a place you don't want to miss.
Nothing says winter quite like lacing up a pair of skates and gliding around the ice. Ironworks Ice Rink is part traditional rink and part ribbon, which makes for an awesome setting for skaters of all skill levels.
Skating is available only by reservation, so it's best to make sure you sign up online in advance. Each skate session lasts 90 minutes.
- Monday and Wednesday: 5 p.m. and 7:15 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday: 5:30 p.m. and 7:45 p.m.
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 11:30 a.m. | 1:45 p.m. | 4 p.m. | 6:15 p.m. | 8:30 p.m.
- These are also the daily hours from Dec. 23-Jan. 6 for winter break.
Ice Bumper Cars and Icebyks
If you thought Ironworks Ice Rink was just for skating, think again. It also features ice bumper cars (!) and Icebyks, both of which can also be booked online in advance.
The electric bumper cars are an absolute blast — after all, what's better than scooting along the ice and ramming into other people? Each bumper car session lasts 15 minutes. Riders must be at least 5 years old and 42 inches tall to ride alone. Children under 4 years old can ride with a parent and don't require a ticket.
Icebyks, a low-riding bike similar to a Big Wheel, are a fun way to cruise around the ribbon with friends and family. Sessions for those are also 15 minutes long.
Know Before You Go
- Book in advance: Ironworks Ice Rink is an amazing place for winter fun. That also means it's really busy. Make sure to plan ahead, book skating, bumper cars or Icebykes in advance and be on time for your reservation.
- Dress warm: Make sure to dress in layers for being outside. You can warm up inside or around the fire pit during your visit.
Explore the Surrounding Area
Ironworks Ice Rink is in the heart of downtown Mishawaka, right along the St. Joseph River, with plenty to do before and after your time on the ice. You're within walking distance to several locally owned shops and more parks worth checking out.
Adjacent to the rink, Beutter Park includes some amazing public art and a wonderful water feature. It's a great place to go for a walk and even a little more magical with some snow. Central Park, with its massive playground, is just across the river via footbridge. Battell Park and Kamm Island are also nearby.
Several local restaurants are within minutes of the rink. Jesus Latin Grill & Tequila Bar, Chicory Café, Doc Pierce's, Sun King Brewery, Social Cantina (coming soon) and Zing Japanese Fusion are just a few of the options.